The carrot, the egg, and the coffee bean
A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling.
It seemed that, as one problem was solved, a new one arose. Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans.
She let them sit and boil, without saying a word. In about twenty minutes, she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, “Tell me, what do you see?”
"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," the young woman replied. The mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. She then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"
Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water - but each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.
The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But, after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened! The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.
"Which are you?" the mother asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?"
Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong but, with pain and adversity, do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength? Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit but, after a death, a breakup, or a financial hardship, does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart? Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavour.
If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hours are the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?
- diaryyquotess reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- fcwy1 reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- missazaliah likes this
- missazaliah reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- ashleylaurenbauer reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- superaqilah reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- superaqilah likes this
- chenginwonderland likes this
- theslave likes this
- fuckyourfeelingsdiehappy likes this
- katherinesully likes this
- michelletmx reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul and added:
- maira-criss likes this
- emmaxoxokay likes this
- sword59 likes this
- tiny-aries likes this
- ilove2banggg likes this
- inlove-with-my-friend likes this
- priyankachowdary95 likes this
- yohjmad likes this
- imsolostwithoutyou reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- loveforevereighteen reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- loveforevereighteen likes this
- anisahaddenan reblogged this from arruhuljadeed
- arruhuljadeed reblogged this from belacandankeju
- pdanna likes this
- minipups2 likes this
- zaujahnov likes this
- the-bliss-of-being likes this
- katherine60 likes this
- letterwind reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- wishingeveryday reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- foreverlittlegirl94 reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- coolingdown reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- comfyjoey likes this
- paradise-xpress likes this
- joeyscyberworld reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- iamkierasha reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- iamkierasha likes this
- h-ypocritical reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- hahafizha reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul and added:
- jess28chan reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- ivannafreire reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- thatinkedchic likes this
- chengrosale likes this
- flaneuresque likes this
- debbydevina reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- screamedthebridge reblogged this from uncomfortablesoul
- screamedthebridge likes this
- shaaanyn likes this